Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ProjectRoadster : For all chat Roadster

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Engine Swap

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
willphiz
Retailer
Retailer

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 8:02 am

Hey guys,

new here.

im lookin at swapping the engine out of a roadster and puttin a Honda Vtec engine in it, was wondering if anyone has any advice and/or any do's and don'ts for said swap.

i did look into the Smartuki side of things but with livin in australia, the shipping an engine over here would cost far too much.

with knowning some guys in the busines that are willing to do the swap helps alot, im just looking into what engines fit and whats the best choice currently.

cheers

Will
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Admin
Pete

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 12:19 pm

You'd probably have some huge issues getting the Vtec engine to fit - however in saying that the bay does seem to be unusually large for the size of engine smart put in it.

Bare in mind it's not just an engine swap it's also a gear linkage and all that jazz that comes into it.

I'd consider a Hyabusa engine or something similar if you're swapping over mate, given that the shipping costs are large they might be a lot less than the actual costs you may incur for fitting a Honda engine into it
Back to top Go down
https://projectroadster.forumotion.com
willphiz
Retailer
Retailer

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 1:40 pm

Been lookin on the USA smart site, seeing someone on there has put a MR2 engine in one.

Yea, the honda engine seems a little harder then 1st seen, it may look like the MR2 engine will be the go, that has plenty of power, can put 400hp thru them with the right build and mods (company called Flood Motorsport will be doing it all)

The price of the hayabusa engine plus all shipping and everything, i have totalled up to have it around the $95,000AUD currently, thats with gettin the engine bored and stroked, turbod and nitrous running thru it, highly illegal car, but itll be used mainly on track.

Tho i dont have a smart car yet (tryin to sell my Nissan R32 Skyline so i can buy the roadster), can someone give me the engine dimensions so i know what engines i can get
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Admin
Pete

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 2:07 pm

I think you need to establish exactly what you want the roadster for mate.

Considering the roadster weighs, I would guess, half that of your skyline (if that) at about 930kgs, give or take, and you're asking that to handle about 400 horses? It'll fly before it does anything good.

I'll get the engine bay dimensions for you when I get home. They're on the laptop along with some 3D line drawings that'll show you where the mounts are/can be etc.

Good luck with this but £50,000 (about 95000AUD) for a Roadster is a lot!
Back to top Go down
willphiz
Retailer
Retailer

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2009 4:58 pm

im still in talks to ppl with advice of what engine they think will go best in the car, a few places and some hill climb guys recon if i can get 400hp outa the roadster then itll hand okay with proper suspension and break upgrades

ah awsome, thatd be great, cheers

yea, its alot, but thats with the hayabusa engine in it
with the built toyota (for instance) engine plus the car, itll cost me all up of $60,000 ish
keep in mind the roadsters still cost $17-30,000 over here

this is a race car, not a roadcar mainly, cos the car is light, and has a decent size engine bay itll make the perfect drag car, and im bored of the skyline now so i needa get an ulitmate track car
Back to top Go down
willphiz
Retailer
Retailer

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 3:00 am

you got the engine bay sizes mate?
Back to top Go down
Pete
Admin
Admin
Pete

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Sorry mate!

I'll have them later when I get the laptop on. Been really busy recently with the changes (you should have got a PM).

I'll get them over to you asap
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine Swap Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine Swap   Engine Swap I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine Swap
Page 1 of 1